Reproductive Freedom Bill Would Codify Abortion in Maryland
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the BCM/D,
The members of the Christian Life and Public Affairs Committee (CLPA) would like to bring to your attention a matter for prayer and action. Both houses of the Maryland General Assembly recently passed the “Reproductive Freedom” bill and will be sending it to the desk of Governor Moore for his signature. This bill starts the process of codifying abortion in the Maryland Constitution. One of those steps in the process is to bring that to the ballot in November 2024 for a vote by all Marylanders.
While this action by the General Assembly and the expected action of the Governor is distressing, we should not lose heart in our struggle to save the lives of preborn children.
A call for prayer:
- Please continue to pray for our governing officials – that by some means, God may change their minds.
- Pray also for our state over the next 18 months that Marylanders will reject this constitutional change. Scripture has revealed so many ways that God has worked to change hearts and minds.
A call for action:
There are several ways in which we can take action on behalf of the pre-born:
- Continue to share the good news of the Gospel with neighbors and friends. The transformation that our state needs will begin with salvation and continue with the renewing of people’s minds (Rom. 12:2)
- Continue to pray for and minister to those women who are facing crisis pregnancies.
- Continue to pray for and support local crisis pregnancy centers. They need spiritual, financial, and people resources to minister.
- Contact your representatives in Annapolis, urging them to reject further legislation that would endanger the lives of preborn children.
1 Peter 2:12 reminds us:
“Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.”
Challenging times like these grant us ample opportunity to gloriously display God’s transforming work in our lives.“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Eph. 6:12)
Your brothers and sisters in Christ, The CLPA