The BCMD Church Planting Team functions within the overall mission of the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware. Our specific team mission is to discover and develop planters, replanters, and partners who share our values and vision. We believe the church is the hero, and we aim to reflect this in our planting approach.
We believe that our capacity increases when Maryland/Delaware Baptists cooperate with each other, and with our national Southern Baptist partners. The church planting task of pushing back spiritual darkness is a great work demanding the unified efforts of Christ’s followers, in order that we might be useful vessels for the Holy Spirit (who is not the author of confusion)
We believe that local church affirmation of church planters is biblical, and an effective means of stewardship accountability to our Cooperative Program, Maryland/Delaware State Missions Offering, and Annie Armstrong Offering supporting churches. “Churches plant churches” is not mere rhetoric to us. Our affirmations:
- We can serve BCM/D churches by pre-assessing potential church planters l We can serve BCM/D churches by developing an assessment process for their
- We can serve BCM/D churches by assessing potential church planters.
- l We will affirm BCM/D churches who have a sound ecclesiological assessment process for church planters
We believe that a healthy church produces disciples that make disciples, and that some of those disciples will be led to be missionaries (nationally & internationally) and church planters, and that those remaining in the sending-congregation should support those that go.
Church Planting Team Values
The church is the hero in church planting. Your church is the hero in church planting! Church planting only exists because your churches participate together! So we value the following:
- Planting new cooperating Maryland/Delaware Baptist churches
- The overall well-being of planters and their families
- Synergy with our partners
- Contextualizing church planting efforts
- Taking risks to accomplish the Great Commission
- Partnering in cooperative giving and going
- Local church initiative and affirmation
- Input from fruitful pastor-planter/practitioners