It’s not a matter of “if” a disaster will strike but “when.” You can be trained as a Southern Baptist Disaster Relief (DR) volunteer with the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware (BCM/D) and serve others in love at one of the most, if not the most, difficult times in their lives.
Classes are for new volunteers, those who need new badges, and other DR-trained volunteers who want to pick up another class or want a refresher.
- Introduction to Southern Baptist Disaster Relief: This is required for all new volunteers. This class offers an overview of DR work and ministry with disaster survivors. Trainers will also cover what to expect on a disaster response, what to bring, and other necessary information.
- Recovery Team: This class will overview the work of the recovery team: flood recovery, chainsaw, and temporary repairs, with emphasis given to safety. The primary area of focus is flood recovery. Although this is a physical ministry, many recovery tasks in the field do not require great physical strength.
- Feeding Team: In this class, you will learn the correct processes for preparing, serving, and cleaning up meals served out of a mobile kitchen or church kitchen. Emphasis will be placed on food safety. The class members will prepare and serve lunch as if this were an actual disaster response.
- Shower and Laundry: This class will overview the operation of the shower and laundry trailers, with emphasis on safety, daily procedures, and “guest service.” The course will include classroom instruction and an orientation tour of one of the trailers.
Please indicate which classes you would like to take when you register. New volunteers must complete two courses, including Introduction to Southern Baptist Disaster Relief, to receive badges.
- New DR Volunteer: $30, which includes the cost for a background check, DR hat, and an ID badge.
- Returning Volunteers who need to renew their badges: $20 (note that the three-year expiration date is on the front of the badge)
- Returning Volunteers who do not need to renew their badge: free.
The registration fee includes lunch and materials.
All new DR volunteers and volunteers who have been inactive for several years must select Introduction to Southern Baptist Disaster Relief as one of their choices.
Due to safety restrictions related to COVID-19, space is limited. No walk-ins, pre-registration only.
Visit our website for more information.
For general questions, email Ellen Udovich, BCM/D’s Church Services Consultant.
For registration questions, email Demetra Bennett, the Assistant to Church Services Support Team.