Who We Are
The Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware is a cooperative missions and ministry organization made up of more than 500 autonomous Baptist churches in Maryland and Delaware. A variety of state and worldwide ministries are coordinated through its administrative offices in Columbia, MD including: missions work, disaster relief, ministry training and support, church development, evangelism and more.
The Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware is strategically located in the heart of the mid-Atlantic region. From the suburbs of the nation's Capitol, to the mountains of western Maryland, to the seashore, to the Chesapeake Bay watershed, to the urban centers of Baltimore and Wilmington, BCM/D serves its constituent churches. The two states represent a highly diverse population with nearly six million people organized in twenty-seven counties.
The Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware is organized throughout eleven geographic associations within the two states, and in cooperation with over 513 churches. We are committed to the expressed vision of planting new churches and strengthening existing ones.
The Baptist Convention of Maryland and Delaware will intentionally assist in starting and strengthening congregations so that together we can fulfill Jesus' command in Matthew 28:19-20 and Acts 1:8.
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit; teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:19-20).
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8).
To accomplish our mission and vision, the Baptist Convention of Maryland and Delaware will organize, staff, plan, and budget around three basic strategy centers.
The Church Multiplication Center:
The Church Multiplication Center exists to glorify God through the extension of His Kingdom by encouraging, enlisting, equipping and empowering BCM/D churches, planters and other partners to multiply congregations throughout our multi-state region.
The Church Wellness Center:
A healthy church is purposefully transforming. The Church Wellness Center partners with and helps BCMD churches grow healthier as they fulfill Jesus' commands and our BCMD mission. by encouraging them and providing services like coaching, connecting, and consulting.
The Acts 1:8 Missions and Evangelism Center:
The Missions and Evangelism Center assists BCM/D churches in developing and implementing effective missions and evangelism strategies that fulfill Matthew 28:19-20 and Acts 1:8.
Our Core Values
We are a fellowship of Baptist churches that share similar core values and have intentionally chosen to join together in friendly cooperation to reach Maryland/Delaware and the world for Jesus Christ.
In a spirit of trust and cooperation we affirm and value the following:
- Our love for Jesus Christ and for one another.
- Our commitment to the Bible as the Word of God.
- The autonomy of the local church, the local association, the state convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Our commitment to the mission and vision of the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware. Therefore, “we will intentionally assist in the starting and strengthening of congregations so that together we can accomplish the Great Commission."
- Our cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention in achieving our worldwide mission.
- Affiliated churches that adopt The Baptist Faith and Message (2000 or 1963) or a similar statement in accord with the beliefs expressed in these Southern Baptist documents.
- The continued employment and support of spirit-led BCM/D staff who affirm The Baptist Faith and Message (2000 or 1963).
- Our Belief that the ultimate task to which we are called, and which most assuredly binds us together, is the mission of reaching people for Jesus Christ and making disciples for His kingdom.